Skip Navigation
TSTC students and employees: TSTC Portal. Click here.
Applying for Financial Aid

Applying for financial aid has never been easier with Texas State Technical College’s step-by-step instructions guiding you through the application process.  But don’t worry if you still have questions, TSTC’s financial aid professionals are available to help with a one-on-one consultation, through email or by phone.

And remember, the key to obtaining financial assistance is to apply early.

You should apply as early as possible. Submitting your FAFSA is only the first step in applying for federal student aid.

To ensure that an aid package is available and ready, Texas State Technical College (TSTC) recommends that the completed file be received in the Financial Aid Office according to the following schedule:

 Fall term apply by May 1

 Spring term apply by October 1

  Summer term apply by March 1


Click here for information on parent loans.

Step by Step Instructions for Financial Aid


*  Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), based on the most current annual income tax information, by following the instructions at FAFSA.

FAFSA CODE for all TSTC Locations: 003634

An electronic user name and password, FSA ID, is required for students, parents and borrowers. The FSA ID has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN which gives you access to the Federal Student Aid's online systems and serves as your legal signature.




You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail from the processing center within two to three weeks after you submit your FAFSA electronically. Or if you provided your email address, you will receive an email with a link to your SAR in five to seven days.

  • Please review the information on the SAR and contact the financial aid office if you discover errors.
  • If your file contains discrepancies, or is selected for verification by the United States Department of Education, you will be required to submit additional documentation to the financial aid office.
  • You will receive an email notification to view your award letter on WebAdvisor when your aid has been processed.
  • There are additional steps required if you wish to receive a Federal Direct Student Loan.


Officially declare a major and send all official transcripts to the Admissions/Records Office.

Note: Financial aid will not be credited to your student account until all transcripts are received.


Preregister. If you register early, your financial aid, if processed, will be credited to your student account prior to the start of the term.

NOTE: Aircraft Pilot Training (APT) students must submit a copy of their Class II Medical Certificate before any financial aid can be credited to their student account. APT student budgets are adjusted to reflect flight costs. Any APT student who does not fly for a term may lose the budget adjustment. 

What records do I need in order to complete my FAFSA? 

You will need records of all income that you earned in the year prior to your attending TSTC. (ex. If you begin 17/SU, 17/FA, 18/SP OR 18/SU term, you will need to provide 2015 income on FAFSA) You may also need records of your parents´ income information if you are a dependent student. You may print a copy of this page by selecting the Print button at the top of the page.


You will need to refer to:

  • The most current annual income tax information
  • Your Social Security Number (Be sure it is correct!)
  • Your driver's license (if any)
  • Your W-2 Forms and other records of money earned
  • The best way to report income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) that is part of FAFSA on the Web at In most cases, no further documentation is needed to verify 2015 income information that was transferred into the student’s FAFSA using the IRS DRT, if that information was not changed. If you use this tool, you will not need to refer to your tax returns.
  • Your (and your spouse´s, if you are married) Federal Income Tax Return
  • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
  • Foreign Tax Return, or
  • Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Your Parents´ most current Federal Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
  • Your current year untaxed income records
  • Veterans non-education benefit records
  • Child support received
  • Worker's compensation
  • Your current bank statements
  • Your current business and investment mortgage information; business and farm records; stock, bond and other investment records

What do I need to keep in mind when filling out the FAFSA?

  • The words "you" and "your" always mean the student.
  • The word "school" means a college, university, graduate or professional school, community college, vocational or technical school, or any other school beyond high school.
    • Round to the nearest dollar and do not use commas or decimal points.
    • For dates, enter numbers that correspond to the month, day and year. For example, for November 7, 1981, enter 11071981.
    • FAFSA questions that refer to the "school year" mean the school year from July 1 of the current year through June 30 of the following year. 
      • Do not mail tax forms or worksheets to Federal Student Aid.
      • Check with your financial aid administrator if you have unusual circumstances.

Note: TSTC must have your complete and correct information by the last day of enrollment in the school year.

For federal aid, submit your application as early as possible, but no earlier than October 1. TSTC must receive your application no later than June 30. Your college must have your correct, complete information by your last day of enrollment in the school year.

Why is it important to submit accurate information?

It is critical that you fill out your FASFA form correctly and that the information that you supply can be verified by your school, your state or by Federal Student Aid.

You may be asked to provide U.S. income tax return transcripts and other information. If you cannot or do not provide these records to your school when asked, you may not get federal student aid.

If you get federal student aid based on incorrect information, you will have to pay it back. You may also have to pay fines and fees. If you purposely give false or misleading information on your application, you may be fined $20,000, sent to prison or both.  

Standards for Academic Progress

Students who receive financial aid must be enrolled in an eligible program and are required to maintain the following standards of satisfactory academic progress (SAP).  These measurements shall be used to determine eligibility for all federal Title IV aid, state and institutional aid, and for other financial assistance unless the terms of a particular grant or funding source require additional terms.  SAP is calculated at the end of each term. Some aid programs require higher standards, such as higher grade point averages (GPA) or specific enrollment statuses. Students receiving financial aid must have a declared degree or certificate eligible program.  Students are expected to be continually aware of their progress toward their completion.  A student that fails to meet the standard of progress (SAP) may be notified by email at the email address on the student record; however, failure to receive notification will not change the SAP status.

Texas State Technical College Verification Policy

The TSTC Financial Aid Office verifies all financial aid applicants that are selected for verification by Central Processing Center along with any other students that may be selected by the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office WILL NOT award aid to a student until the verification process has been completed. 

Students who are selected for verification will receive an email listing what forms must be completed and what other information must be submitted.  Students may obtain these forms online or may pick up the forms in the Financial Aid Office. Students are also able to view which forms are missing by logging into their WebAdvisor and clicking on the “My Documents” tab.

Taxpayers who cannot get a copy of a prior-year return may order a tax transcript from the IRS. A transcript summarizes return information and includes AGI. They’re free and available for the most current tax year after the IRS has processed the return. People can also get them for the past three years.

The IRS reminds people ordering a transcript to plan ahead because delivery times for online and phone orders typically take five to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request. Taxpayers who order by mail should allow 30 days to receive transcripts and 75 days for tax returns.

There are three ways for taxpayers to order a transcript:

  • Online Using Get Transcript. They can use Get Transcript Online on to view, print or download a copy of all transcript types. Those who use it must authenticate their identity using the Secure Access process. Taxpayers who are unable to register or prefer not to use Get Transcript Online may use Get Transcript by Mail to order a tax return or account transcript type. Please allow five to 10 calendar days for delivery.
  • By phone. The number is 800-908-9946.
  • By mail. Taxpayers can complete and send either Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ to the IRS to get one by mail. They can use Form 4506-T to request other tax records: tax account transcript, record of account, wage and income, and verification of non-filing. These forms are available on the Forms, Instructions and Publications page on Those who need an actual copy of a tax return can get one for the current tax year and as far back as six years. The fee per copy is $50. Taxpayers can complete and mail Form 4506 to request a copy of a tax return and mail the request to the appropriate IRS office listed on the form.

If you are selected for verification, we encourage you to submit the documents to us as quickly as possible. We perform verification in the order in which files become complete. Please remember that you will NOT receive any financial aid until this process has been completed!

During the verification process, we may determine that we need additional documentation.  If so, you will receive another email notification. Once again, please respond quickly.

As a result of verification, we may be required to make changes to the information that you reported on your FAFSA.  If that happens, you will receive another Student Aid Report that shows what changes were made.  You can contact our office if you have any questions about why changes were made.

After the verification process is completed, your financial aid will be processed and we will send you an email regarding your award letter.

Amended Tax Return Filers

When the school is aware that an individual has filed an amended tax return, the school needs to collect the following documents to complete verification for that individual:

  • An IRS Tax Return Transcript that includes information from the original tax return OR any other IRS tax transcript that includes all income and tax information from the original tax return required for verification (neither of which has to be signed); and
  • A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X that was filed with the IRS.

Victims of Identity Theft

Victims of identity theft who cannot get a return transcript or use the DRT must call the IRS’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) toll-free number at 800-908-4490. After the IPSU authenticates your identity, you can ask the IRS to mail you an alternate paper tax return transcript known as the TRDBV (Transcript DataBase View). Please send us a copy of the TRDBV once it has been received along with a signed and dated statement from the tax filer indicating that he or she was a victim of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been
made aware of the theft.

For victims of identity theft who have previously been in contact with the IRS and have not achieved a resolution to their case, you may contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit, toll-free, at 800-908-4490. If you are unable to get your issue resolved and are experiencing financial difficulties, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free at 877-777-4778.

Texas Genuine Logo
Texas State Technical College 3801 Campus Drive Waco, Texas 76705 254-799-3611
© 2018 Texas State Technical College